Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Big Day...Introducing Adelaide Lyla Garner

Yay!!! The week leading up to this day was seriously so miserable. I had been doing a two week teaching block at Mound Fort Jr. High on 12th street. Dr. Sumsion almost decided to take the baby on that Thursday but decided to give me the betamethosone shot which would help the baby's lungs develop more quickly if she did come early. I am so glad he did that! Well, let's just say I was on strict bedrest supposedly. I was naughty and was trying my hardest to get done with all of my schoolwork since the next week was finals week.
Friday night I kept vomiting and couldn't even keep a teaspoon of water down. I was admitted Saturday morning at Davis Hospital for observation. I was severely dehydrated and they found that I had a Urinary Tract Infection that had also gone to my bladder. Yeah for bladder infections!!! Not. Well I had had no idea that I had a UTI. They think that I had had it for 3-4 weeks and not known it. Super fun, I remember. They pumped 4.5 liters of water into my system along with antibiotics.
For the past month or so before this, Dr. had put me on watch for something called the HELLP syndrome. It stands for Hemolytic anemia, Elevated Liver enzymes and Low Platelet count. It's related to Pre-Eclampsia. My levels had been up and down. So that Saturday, the nurses kept taking my blood to check my levels. They seemed okay, for now... I was supposed to stay there until I could have a good healthy pee. Twelve to thirteen hours later, they decided to let me go home after I let out a tiny weeny trickle and to come back if I hadn't peed by the next morning. All of the water that they put into me just went into my body tissue because of this syndrome thing because you also retain water with it really badly. So, it didn't really go through my system like it should have, which is why I couldn't go to the bathroom to the nurses' satisfaction! In the meantime, I missed the baby shower that was at Deven's mother's house. He was able to go to it for a little while, but I missed the whole thing because I was in the hospital. Oh well. I went over later that night and ate some food! Yummy. Then I had a really funny experience at Harmons with Deven and the speedracer shopping cart! Haha.
Sunday was miserable but I kept off my feet and didn't go to church. Then, Monday morning at about two o'clock, I woke up in such terrible pain. I couldn't believe how much pain I was in. I seriously wanted to die! My mom came over and I decided that I needed to go to the hospital. I knew something wasn't right. I didn't know if I was having back labor or what. Well, after getting checked in, I had an ultrasound and they discovered that I had kidney stones. I also was in minor labor because of the UTI and Bladder infection. They did not have me on the right antibiotic. They switched to a different one after they cultured my urine from Saturday. Well. Dr. Sumsion came to check on me and the of course did my blood work again. After getting the results, Dr. Sumsion told me how this level was fine, and that level was fine, and so on. I thought he was just going to send me home again and was about to start bawling. I was SOOOO miserable, I DID NOT WANT TO GO HOME!!!
After a lengthy explanation of all my levels were good, he told me that he was going to take the baby today because my blood platelets had dropped significantly. Deven was asleep on the couch this whole time Dr. Sumsion was there. I woke Deven up right after he said that we were going to have a baby today. He woke up so confused and asked how long he had been asleep! LOL. The Doc broke my water and put me on an IV, pitocin, and magnesium sulfate. The magnesium sulfate help with the HELLP and will help prevent me from having seizures during labor; however, pitocin induces labor and the mag stops labor. So they were fighting against each other. It made for a thirteen hour labor. Considering that and that it was my first delivery and they started me, it wasn't that bad.
We decided to name her Adelaide Lyla Garner. Born April 19, 2010 at 9:50PM She weighed 7 lbs. 5 oz. and was 20 in. She was 5 weeks early but was very healthy. She had to go to the NICU for a couple hours and was on oxygen for 10 minutes, but other than that she was fine. I was so sad when they had to take her from me! The stay in the hospital was crazy but okay. I got stressed a couple times but my sweet husband was there to help me through everything. Addie had a little bit of jaundice and had to be under the bililights from Wednesday to Friday morning. :-( Poor girl.











2 comments:

Bailee said...

Lol Nan.. I love you and I am sorry you had to go through all of that. But both you and little Addie are alive and well and that is all that matters! :) I love you guys!! P.s. I hope my delivery is a lot easier than yours. I'm crossing my fingers hahaha cause yours has me scared!

Bailee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.